Monday, February 1, 2016

12 Healthy Breakfast Foods


Gettyimages467760103

12 Healthy Breakfast Foods

You have no doubt heard the phrase “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day”. There are many health benefits to eating breakfast and they include helping you control your weight and your performance throughout the day.

By having a nutritious breakfast you will have a more complete diet rich in minerals, vitamins and nutrients, improved focus and concentration at school or work, increase endurance and strength with physical activities and reduced cholesterol levels.

Here are 12 Healthy Breakfast foods:

Greek Yogurt
Greek yogurt contains calcium and protein which will keep you satiated and feeling full during the morning. Tip: Add some fruit if you want to add to the flavor

Wheat Germ
Wheat germ has the benefit of containing vitamin E and is easily added into almost every meal. You could add it to your yogurt or cereal, or even blend it into a smoothie.

Oatmeal
Oatmeal is rich in many nutrients including omega 3 fatty acids, potassium and folate. It also contains beta-glucan which is a special type of fibre that can reduce cholesterol levels.

Steel Oats contain the most fiber, and it is recommended to avoid flavoured oats which contain sugar.

Grapefruit
Grapefruit can help you lose weight since it has fat burning properties and positive effects on your blood sugar and insulin. Not to mention it also contains antioxidants that can help with your immune response.

Eggs
Eggs are a good source of protein and vitamin D.

Banana
Bananas contain potassium which can help lower your blood pressure. It is also a source of resistant starch which can help you feel satiated for a longer period of time.

Almond Butter
Almond butter is a good alternative source of protein if you are unable to eat dairy or eggs. It is rich in monounsaturated fat which is considered a ‘healthy fat’. Tip: use it as a spread on wholegrain bread.

Flaxseed
Flaxseed contains healthy omega 3 fatty acids, is rich in fiber and contains beneficial antioxidants. It is easily incorporated into your meals such as blending it in a smoothie or added to your cereal.

Watermelon
Watermelon contains lycopene which is a nutrient that helps with heart health, vision and prevention of cancer.

Strawberries
Berries have been considered superfoods because they are rich in antioxidants but contain so few calories. Strawberries are a source of vitamin C, fiber and folic acid.

Blueberries
Blueberries are a good source of antioxidants and contain a high concentration of anthocyanins.. Research has also shown that by consuming them regularly can lead to improved memory, motor skills, metabolism and blood pressure.

Wholewheat Bread
Whole Wheat bread contains more nutrients and fiber when compared to white refined bread.


Start your day right with some of these breakfast foods and reap the benefits to your health.



6 comments:

  1. Ever since high school, I've always have eaten yogurt and toast for breakfast, along with the occasional smoothie. And greek yogurt is now ne of my favorites, and add to the fact that you can also use for a wide variety of reasons....it's a great alternative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My breakfast usually consists of coffee, eggs and toast. It’s pretty basic. I stopped putting butter on toast. When my cholesterol level was hovering on high normal, I switched to oatmeal with only non-fat milk. The taste is pretty bland so I mix in some fruits in season and I started to like it. I’m not yet sold on Greek yogurt for breakfast, but with some adjustments, who knows, I might like it. I do miss eggs and toast sometimes, but until I get my cholesterol levels down, I’d stick to the healthier alternatives.

      Delete
    2. I still eat hardboiled eggs but I’ve cut down on bread. I love oatmeal with banana. If I eat it for breakfast, I don’t get hungry nor do I crave for something to eat before lunch. To me, it’s really filling. It’s good for keeping cholesterol down, so if you keep at it, I’m quite sure you’ll get your cholesterol levels down and hopefully you don’t get prescribed statins. They do have potentially serious side effects.

      Delete
  2. I’ve ditched sugary cereals on my breakfast menu and I’m searching for healthy alternatives. I must admit that apart from eggs and banana, the food items on this list don’t really appeal to me. But I guess the best I could do is to try them and see what works out for me. I’m trying to cut down on sugar intake and I watched your diabetes video and I find it very enlightening. I urge readers to do the same, especially those who are at risk. Getting the right information about diabetes can really make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I have never tried wheat germ, I eat just about every other food on this list. I gave up sugary cereal years ago. It doesn't even look appetizing to me in the store anymore. It's so inspiring to be living a healthy life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all these foods, so it makes me happy to see them on the list. I used to eat bagels for breakfast until I learnt how bad they are for your health, even the wholemeal ones aren't that good for you. I love oatmeal, bananas and mixed berries - such a good combination in the morning.

    ReplyDelete