Friday, February 5, 2016

5 Reasons You Are Not Losing Weight


5 Reasons You Are Not Losing Weight

If you have been on a healthy diet and have been exercising, but still have had problems shedding the extra fat then this article will show you some things that may be holding you back. By fixing these things you will be able to get back on track and achieve your weight loss goals.

When it comes to the reasons you may not be losing weight, it could one of these 6 reasons - magnesium deficiency, ineffective workouts, lack of sleep, too much soda consumption or too much alcohol consumption.

Magnesium Deficiency
The purpose of magnesium in our body is to help with functions such as regulating heartbeat and blood sugar levels but has shown to aid weight loss. A lower level of insulin and fasting glucose was attributed to higher magnesium intake according to a 2013 research study in the Journal of Nutrition. This is beneficial to controlling your blood sugar and fat storage.

To ensure you are getting enough magnesium make sure you include magnesium rich foods in your diet such as beans, nuts and leafy green vegetables.

Ineffective Workouts
The most common way people start off with exercise is steady state cardio for long periods (such as on a treadmill or bike). While you may burn fat initially, you will also start to strip away your muscle which will lower your resting metabolic rate. Instead a better alternative to increasing your metabolism is to do weight training. Weight training builds up your metabolic rate as muscle burns more energy when compared to any other body tissue such as fat.

Another great workout that is effective at burning fat is high intensity interval training. This involves an intense work set followed by a less intense recovery interval. It is more efficient at burning calories within a shorter period of time.

Try incorporating a schedule of strength training one day and HIIT workouts on other days.

Lack of Sleep
The lack of sleep causes the levels of a hormone called ghrelin to increase. This hormone is responsible for stimulating your appetite, meaning you will probably consume more calories over time than if you were not sleep deprived.

Too much Soda Consumption
The high amount of sugar in sodas means excess calories will be stored as body fat. Instead try drinking unsweetened tea or water.

Too Much Alcohol Consumption
Apart from the high calories and zero nutritional benefit, alcohol affects your willpower and decision making power meaning you will likely eat a hamburger and pizza after a late night out drinking.


If you have been struggling to shed the extra pounds then try rectifying these 5 things and you should be on your way to achieving your weight loss goals





7 comments:

  1. Losing weight is a struggle for me primarily because of lack of sleep. I’d like to think that my workout would be effective if I’m not so sleep-deprived. I don’t consume as much alcohol and carbonated drinks, so I know they’re not the problem. I agree that these are some of the reasons why a lot of people are not reaching their weight goals. It’s really not for the lack of trying. It’s important to determine the reason and make necessary adjustments to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suffer from insomnia and I believe it’s also one of the reasons I’m not losing as much weight as I’d like. Of course, there could be other reasons, but I’m aware that I’m eating more than I should at a particular time. I do make an effort to eat healthy and only drink alcohol occasionally, but lack of sleep is something that I find hard to control or manage.

      Delete
    2. Insomnia is a tough thing to crack. I’ve had sleep problems when I hit 30. I know for sure it’s stress-related, but I wonder why I’m still having trouble sleeping even when there’s nothing to stress about. It’s exhausting. I agree that when you are sleep-deprived, you compensate with other things like binge-eating. Hope you find a system that works for you so you can sleep well at night.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sleep and soda should be nicknamed the "sabotagers." They pack on the pounds rather than help you lose them. These are the two that I'm fighting right now, but I'm getting better at cutting them loose. I think my obsession with drinking water is helping the weight come off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The reasons you provided are spot on, especially the ineffective workouts. I just like to add that age is also a factor. When you reach a certain age, it gets tougher to lose the excess weight. So, those in their 40s might find it more difficult to shed the pounds than, say, those in their early 20s. It doesn’t mean it’s impossible, you just need to learn to adjust to the changes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stopped drinking alcohol and changed nothing else in my diet, and the weight just fell off. I couldn't believe how much of a difference it made. I think it was the amount of sugar that was in each drink, more so then the alcohol, though it does make you dehydrated, so I'm sure that is also a factor.

    ReplyDelete