Foods to Avoid If You are A Diabetic
If you are a Type 2 diabetic you will know that eating a healthy nutritious diet is important to keep your diabetes and blood sugar under control. In addition to this physical exercise and regular monitoring of your eyes, heart and organs is important. If you do lose weight (even if it is just ten pounds) you can dramatically improve your glycemic control, insulin sensitivity as well as your blood pressure and LDL cholesterol levels.
Healthy food choices for a diabetic will help you control your weight, regulate your blood sugar levels and help you avoid foods that can cause severe spikes in your blood sugar.
Here are some food groups you should avoid if you are a Type 2 Diabetic:
Avoid Highly Refined Carbohydrates
Carbohydrates are converted into glucose once digested and enters the bloodstream making them the food item which will have the greatest impact on your blood sugar levels. Highly refined carbohydrates are especially bad for type 2 diabetics as they enter the bloodstream rapidly, causing your blood sugar levels to spike in a dangerous way.
Here is a list of highly refined carbohydrate foods you should avoid:
● Regular Pasta
● White potatoes - including dishes like mashed potatoes and french fries
● White rice
● White bread
● Breakfast cereals that have a high amount of sugar
● Instant oatmeal
Here is a list slow release carbs you can eat instead:
Avoid Vegetables that have been processed or contain added ingredients
Since vegetables are rich in fiber and normally low in fat and sodium they are generally a healthy food item. However, depending on the way vegetables are cooked, processed and packaged they may be unhealthy for diabetics.
Here is a list of vegetables you should avoid as a diabetic:
● Canned Vegetables which contain a high amount of sodium
● Sauerkraut and Pickles - if you need to avoid sodium, these should be avoided
● Cooked vegetables that have added cheese, butter or sauce during the cooking process.
Avoid Processed Fruit Products
Fruits are a great source of fiber, vitamins, minerals and carbohydrates. However there are certain types of fruit you should avoid:
● Dried Fruit - the drying process concentrates the natural sugars
● Canned Fruit that has sugar syrup
● Fruit Juice, Fruit Drinks and Fruit Punch - they often contain large amounts of sugar.
Avoid Fried Meats and Fatty Cuts of Meat
The types of protein to avoid include:
● Pork Bacon
● Cuts of meat that are fatty - for example ribs
● Fried Meats
● Regular cheese (high fat cheeses)
● Poultry that doesn’t have skin removed
● Fried Tofu
● Fried Fish