Friday, March 25, 2016

Managing your weight loss regimen with portion control



Managing your weight loss regimen with portion control

Weight loss management has become important nowadays because of the several health risks that obesity can lead to. In fact, being slightly overweight can affect your lifestyle on a daily basis. You will eventually feel discomfort or experience limited movements. Before these situations arise you should think about implementing a weight loss regimen.

You may have heard about special diets, weight loss pills, and strange exercises to follow but do these actually work? You might be wondering what should be the correct first step to your weight loss regimen. The answer is right there on your plate and it is all about portion control.

Portion control is important especially for those people who admittedly have eating problems. Overeating is actually a sign of depression, which may be observed commonly with people who excessively watch television and eat all kinds of food at the same time. First, you should quit this habit because the more you watch TV shows, the more food you put inside your mouth.

When it comes to portion control, always keep in mind that half the plate is for fruits or vegetables and the other half should be divided equally into two parts – one for protein and the other for starch. Make sure that your sources of protein and starch are organic. Remember to avoid processed foods and white sugar-based products.

Another relevant thing to do for portion control is to use a smaller plate size and taller glass. Smaller plate size gives the illusion that you have already eaten enough and the taller glass makes you think you have more juice to take in. This way, you trick your mind without drastically starving yourself.

Whenever you are planning to dine in a restaurant along with family or friends it can be challenging to do portion control. But with the help of a family member or a friend, you can actually share your meal. If you do not like the idea of sharing, you can ask the waiter to serve just the amount of food you need.

Doing portion control while watching a TV show is actually possible. Watching TV or movies can really trigger overeating and you can control this by getting just enough amount of snacks to your bowl. Drinking a glass of water after finishing your bowl of snacks will also help because it will make you feel you that you are already full. Do not forget to choose healthy chips or mixed nuts with fruits for your snack bowl.


All weight loss regimens require you to do one thing and that is to impose discipline to yourself. Many people are actually giving up on their exercise routine or on their diet plan because they would eventually stop and go back to their usual routine. This is something you should avoid because once you stop, it is no longer easy to get back on the track. Stay focused on your road to fitness and you will eventually develop your weight loss regimen as a habit.





8 comments:

  1. I think having a menu for a week helps in portion control. What I do is use those containers with sections so I can separate the veggies from the meat. You can prepare this daily so you get a stack of 3 containers a day that you can store then reheat. I actually enjoy the preparation and the cooking and look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I didn’t think of using containers with dividers. What I do is just use small plates as suggested in the article. The hardest part for me is eating out with friends. The portions are just massive in some restaurants. When I’m with friends who are not on diet, I just order the dish with small portion. If I can wiggle my way out of an invite, I’d do it, because I really think that preparing your own food is much healthier.

      Delete
    2. When I started with my diet a year ago, I used those containers as well because I don’t have the discipline yet to stick to smaller portions. So I sort of trained myself to eat only the portion on that container. It was a tip from my fitness trainer and it worked for me.

      Delete
  2. This is a great article, Tanya. I do believe that portion control is important for people who tend to overeat. This is actually a good supplement to your diet program. I also think that drinking water before eating helps. If I feel like I still need to eat more, I just drink water. Lemon-infused water is more refreshing and keeps you hydrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love lemon-infused water. Sometimes I get fancy and add cucumber and basil into the mix. Much more refreshing and it’s one way to detox. I agree with all the suggestions in this article and I believe that portion control is key in losing weight and maintaining a healthy eating habit.

      Delete
    2. I love lemon-infused water. Sometimes I get fancy and add cucumber and basil into the mix. Much more refreshing and it’s one way to detox. I agree with all the suggestions in this article and I believe that portion control is key in losing weight and maintaining a healthy eating habit.

      Delete
  3. Portion control is so hard. You really have to be self-disciplined to follow each package's serving size to the letter. I've been trying so hard to get on this band wagon and not overeat. Slowly I'm getting there but it's not an easy road.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I started on my regimen, it was very, very hard to eat smaller portions (husband is a phenomenal cook and is Irish/Italian!) But after forcing myself for a couple of months, it started to feel natural. And yes, drinking more water does help curb your appetite. :) And there are so many different infusions you can use.

    ReplyDelete